The Administration of the Overstrand Municipality took note of recent debates in printed and social media as well as e-mails being forwarded from pillar to post regarding the Municipality’s proposed Draft Fernkloof Nature Reserve Integrated Management Plan (IMP).
The IMP will, prior to it being submitted to the Provincial Authorities for final approval, be submitted to the Overstrand Council for consideration. The status of the IMP is that the Administration awaited comments from interested parties, with closing date 30 November 2017, on the content of the IMP and which comments, together with the input from the Administration, will be submitted to the Overstrand Council for consideration.
The Administration also noted with dismay that certain individuals and organisations opted to react by means of vindictive attacks on the character and competencies of valued officials of this municipality rather than to submit their inputs on the content of the IMP itself. In their dubious endeavours to discredit certain officials, it is broadcasted that there is growing public distrust in certain officials and accusations are also being made of alleged unlawful actions within the Administration.
In view of the aforementioned the Municipal Manager, as Head of the Administration and Accounting Officer of the Overstrand Municipality, wishes to ensure residents that the Administration of the Municipality is committed to accountable and ethical governance. As such corruption and fraud are not tolerated.
Instead of mudslinging and faceless accusations, residents are encouraged to report instances of unethical and fraudulent conduct to the Administration of the Municipality or the Overstrand Council in any or all of the manners provided for in the:
- Code of Conduct for Municipal Staff Members as is contained in Schedule 2 of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, No. 32 of 2000;
- Overstrand Municipality’s Anti-Corruption and Fraud Prevention Plan;
- Overstrand Municipality’s Code of Ethics for Municipal Staff;
- Disciplinary Regulations for Senior Managers (Government Notice 344 promulgated in Government Gazette 34213 of 21 April 2011) read with Overstrand Municipality’s Standard Procedures for the Management of Allegations of Misconduct against Senior Managers or the Municipal manager in terms of Disciplinary Regulations;
- Municipal Regulations on Financial Misconduct Procedures and Criminal Proceedings (Government Notice 430 in Government Gazette 37682 of 30 May 2014); and
- Prevention and Combating of Corrupt Activities Act, No. 12 of 2004.