Despite recent heavy rains, bulk earthworks for the development of the 30 000m² Whale Coast Mall in Sandbaai have been progressing reasonably well.
The developer of the shopping centre, who is also responsible for the upgrading of the local road network in the vicinity of the Mall, says the road works will be completed in a number of phases over the next 15 months.
These roads include sections of Sandbaai Main Road, Bergsig Street and Schulphoek Road. The first phase (phase 1A) will be to upgrade Sandbaai Main Road from Agrimark to Bergsig Street.
The developer appointed the contractor for the road works on Friday, 29 July 2016. Construction of phase 1A is due to start on Wednesday, 10 August 2016, or shortly thereafter, depending on the results of detail site investigations to be done during the next few days. The start of this phase was slightly delayed to accommodate the Kalfiefees. This phase is due for completion by November 2016.
During this phase, Sandbaai Main Road will be closed from just south of the Engen filling station exit to Bergsig Street. No traffic or pedestrian movements will be possible on this section of Sandbaai Main Road for the duration of the road works.
TEMPORARY ACCESSES AND DETOURS
1. SANDBAAI AND CURRO SCHOOL (refer to Figure 1)
Motorist wishing to enter or exit Sandbaai (including Curro School) will be able to do so via Bergsig Street and Myrtle Street from/onto Schulphoek Road.
2. SANDBAAI INTERSECTION BUSINESS NODE and TAMBALI VILLAGE (refer to figure 2)
The Sandbaai Business node includes the following businesses:
Super Plants, Current Lifestyle, Wonderland Coffee Shop and Playpark, Wippie en Snippie, Wonderland Woodyard, KFC, Roman’s Pizza, Vee’s Video, CK Sushi Asia Restaurant, Avis/Budget Car Rental, Engen Filling Station, Hermanus Convenience Centre (including Engen Quick Shop, Woolworths Foodstop and Corner Bakery), Agrimark and Tambali Village.
This area will be accessible as follows:
Entering the area
- The left-in slipway entrance off the R43 into the complex will remain open as usual for the duration of the road works.
- The first entrance from the traffic signals in Sandbaai Main Road will remain open as usual for the duration of the road works.
- The second entrance from the traffic signals in Sandbaai Main Road will be closed for the first six weeks of the construction period.
Exiting the area
- The island in Sandbaai Main Road at the Engen exit will be opened temporary to allow motorist to turn right onto Sandbaai Main Road in the direction of the provincial road (R43). No left turning into Sandbaai will be possible.
- The second exit from the traffic signals in Sandbaai Main Road will be closed for the first six weeks of the construction period, thereafter the exit will be opened to allow motorist to turn right onto Sandbaai Main Road in the direction of the provincial road (R43). No left turning into Sandbaai will be possible.