Sewerage blockages can to a large extent be attributed to objects such as stones, pieces of iron, plastic, branches, grease and household garbage that enter the system and form an obstruction.
Please keep the manholes and drains clean and continue to report sewerage blockages at the municipal control room 028 313 8000/8111. Alternatively phone Kleinmond 028 271 8400, Hermanus 028 313 8090, Gansbaai 028 384 8300 and Stanford 028 341 8500 to request service.
Overstrand Municipality once again appeals to residents not to dispose materials such as used cooking oil, motor oil, yard and pet waste, paint, concrete slurry and construction materials or any other household hazardous chemicals into the storm water infrastructure.
Do not dispose of used cooking oil and grease by dumping it into the storm drain.
• Allow fat (from fatty food when cooking) to cool and congeal or solidify. Once this is solid, wrap it in newspaper or put it in a bag before placing in the refuse bin which is collected weekly.
• Rags, paper, tampons and disposable nappies should be disposed of in the normal household bin or sanitary bins provided by businesses.
• Keep yard clippings out of the street.
• Recycle used motor oil.
• Sweep driveways clean instead of hosing them down.
• Keep litter, pet waste, leaves, grass clippings and debris out of street gutters and storm drains. Outlets blocked by excessive debris, such as leaves and grass clippings, could lead to flooding of your street.
• Most building materials enter the sewer system when contractors/builders dump these materials into the sewer through manholes. This causes unnecessary stress on the system.
Where to dump?
There is no excuse for dumping waste illegally in our neighbourhoods or next to the roads as the Municipality provides a highly reliable refuse collection service and drop-off facilities across Overstrand.
• HERMANUS TRANSFER STATION in Mbeki Street (general waste and garden refuse only)
Mondays - Fridays 08:00 - 18:00, Saturdays 09:00 - 16:00, Public Holidays 09:00 - 14:00
•VOËLKLIP Weekend Drop-Off in 7th Street (household waste, black bags only)
Mondays to Fridays 08:00 - 18:00, Saturdays 09:00 – 16:00, Public Holidays 09:00 – 14:00
•VOËLKLIP PRAWN FLATS Drop-Off (garden and general household waste)
Mondays to Fridays 08:00 - 18:00, Saturdays 09:00 - 16:00, Public Holidays 09:00 - 14:00
•HAWSTON Drop-Off in Church Street (garden and general household waste)
Mondays to Fridays 08:00 - 18:00, Saturdays 09:00 - 16:00, Public Holidays 09:00 – 14:00
•KARWYDERSKRAAL Landfill (builders’ rubble, garden waste and general household waste)
Mondays to Fridays 08:00 - 16:30
• Pringle Bay weekend drop-off for household refuse;
• Betty’s Bay weekend drop-off for household refuse;
• Betty’s Bay drop-off for general and garden refuse
(Mondays to Fridays 08:00 - 16:00, Saturdays 09:00 - 16:00, Public Holidays 09:00 – 14:00)
• Kleinmond Transfer Station for household, general and garden refuse and small quantities of builders’ rubble (bakkie builders) 0 to 1 ton.
Mondays to Fridays 08:00 - 16:00, Saturdays 09:00 - 16:00, Public Holidays 09:00 – 14:00
• Karwyderskraal Landfill for all your builders’ rubble of more than 1 ton.
• Stanford Transfer Station for general and garden refuse and small quantities of building rubble. More than one ton should be taken to Gansbaai Landfill.
• Gansbaai Landfill for building rubble and general and garden refuse; and
• Pearly Beach drop-off for general and garden refuse and small quantities of building rubble (bakkie builders).