The winners of the 2019 Greenest Municipality Competition for the Western Cape were announced at an awards ceremony hosted by the Provincial Minister of Local Government, Environmental Affairs and Development Planning, Anton Bredell on Tuesday evening, 26 November 2019.
Overstrand Municipality won the category for Biodiversity Management.
The Greenest Municipality Competition is aimed at motivating and inspiring municipalities to address environmental issues in their regions.
For the competition, municipalities were evaluated in various categories including waste management, biodiversity management, water and conservation management and air quality management.
This year the main category winners were:
• Climate Change Response - Drakenstein Municipality
• Air Quality Management - Drakenstein Municipality
• Waste Management - Saldanha Bay Municipality
• Water Conservation & Management - Swartland Municipality
• Biodiversity Management - Overstrand Municipality
• Coastal Management & Urban Beautification - Mosselbay Municipality
• Leadership, Compliance, Institutional Arrangements & Public participation - Hessequa Municipality
* Congratulations to Drankenstein Municipality for scooping the Greenest Municipality award. Swartland Municipality came second and Mosselbay third.
Senior Environmental Manager Liezl de Villiers, Director of Infrastructure and Planning Stephen Müller and Mayoral Committee Member and Chairperson for Social & Economic Development and Tourism, Cllr Kari Brice at the 2019 Greenest Municipality Competition.