South Africa will enforce a three-week lockdown due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus, which commences at midnight today, Thursday, 26 March 2020 and will remain in effect until midnight 16 April 2020.
During the lockdown, all Overstrand residents will have to stay at home. The purpose of the lockdown is to curb the spread of the COVID-19, Coronavirus. Individuals will not be allowed to leave their homes except under strictly controlled circumstances, such as to seek medical care, buy groceries, medicine or to collect social grants.
Contrary to rumours that have been spreading on social media you may not walk your dog in the street or go jogging.
The only people exempt from this lockdown are the health workers in the public and private sectors, emergency personnel, those in security services (such as the police, traffic officers, military medical personnel, soldiers) and other persons necessary to respond to COVID-19 pandemic.
Persons involved in the production, distribution and supply of food and basic goods, essential banking services, the maintenance of power, water and telecommunications services, laboratory services, and those involved in the provision of medical and hygiene products are also exempt from the lockdown.
With the exception of pharmacies, laboratories, banks, essential financial and payment services, supermarkets, petrol stations and health care providers, all shops and businesses will be closed.
Overstrand Municipality remains committed to service delivery and all essential services will remain open during the lockdown. The following measures will be implemented:
Refuse removal will continue as per normal collection schedule for the Greater Hermanus and Greater Gansbaai administrations.
In the Hangklip-Kleinmond area, refuse will be collected as follows:
- Mondays: Rooi Els, Kleinmond Sea Avenues, Kleinmond Mountain Avenues, Klein Berlyn and Heuningkloof
- Tuesdays: Proteadorp, Overhills, Mountain View, Extension 6, Palmiet, Sunny Seas
- Wednesdays: Betty’s Bay and Mooiuitsig
- Thursdays: Pringle Bay
Each household is allowed to place one wheelie bin or four black bags with domestic refuse on the sidewalk, with the proviso that only one bag may contain garden waste, for removal in areas which the Municipality has not identified as a problem animal area. Containers must be secured with baboon proof locking devices in all areas that the Municipality has identified as problem animal areas. No refuse bags may be left on pavements in baboon problem areas.
All transfers stations and drop-off facilities will be closed during lockdown
OVERSTRAND’S 24-HOUR CONTROL ROOM
- Will remain open 028 313 8111
- Problems may be addressed telephonically
SEWERAGE TANKER SERVICE:
Several areas in Overstrand are not connected to a water borne sewer network, resulting in many residents being dependent on our tanker service to remove sewage from their premises. The sewerage tanker service will continue as normal, to obtain this service people must contact the Overstrand 24 hour emergency number 028 – 313 8111. Please note that any tanker services requested after 15:00, for service on the same day, will be subject to an after-hour levy.
WATER AND ELECTRICITY:
- Both services will remain fully operational. Please report any issues regarding water or electricity to the Municipal 24-hour Control Room 028- 313 8111.
- Testing of vehicles for roadworthy will be closed
- Driving licence testing services will be closed
- Learner’s Licence Testing Services will be closed
- Eye Testing Services will be closed
- Motor vehicle registration will be closed
PUBLIC TRADING SPACES:
- All formal and informal markets are to be closed, including vendors at taxi-ranks
- Both informal and formal car monitors and car washers in the Hermanus CBD are prohibited during the lockdown
- All public meetings and site visits will be postponed until after the lockdown period
OVERSTRAND TOURISM OFFICES:
- Will be closed. Tourism managers will be available on their cellphones and via email. Go to www.whalecoast.info for contact details.
Cemeteries will remain open, although residents are advised to be mindful of the number of persons at the graveside during burial and must ensure that a social distance is maintained between mourners.
Payment for grave space must be made directly to the municipal primary bank account:
Nedbank Account Number 1190136678
Type of account: Current Account
Branch Code: 198765
Applicable tariffs can be confirmed at Overstrand Municipality’s control room (028 313 8111).
BEACHES, PICNIC SITES AND NATURE RESERVES:
COMMUNITY HALLS AND SPORT FACILITIES:
PUBLIC EVENTS TO BE HOSTED IN TERMS OF THE EVENTS BY-LAW:
- All approved events in terms of the by-law are cancelled until further notice and permits issued are revoked
- No new applications shall be considered until further notice
- Overstrand Municipality will refund payments made for events that cannot take place as a result of the lockdown
HAWSTON SWIMMING POOL COMPLEX:
- Closed until further notice
- Day camps and picnic spots will be closed to the public until further notice
OVERSTRAND CARAVAN PARKS:
- Closed, until further notice. Overstrand Municipality will refund for payments made affected by lockdown
RATES HALLS AND CASH OFFICES
- Municipal rates halls and cash offices will be closed
- The Municipality encourages account holders to use online banking to pay accounts
- In case of an infrastructure related emergency, contact Overstrand’s 24-hour Control Room at 028 313 8111.
- Fire & Rescue can be called directly on 028 312 2400 and the number for law enforcement matters are 028 313 8996.
- Prepaid electricity tokens are available at retailers Pick ‘n Pay, Checkers and Spar as well as Engen garages and various other outlets that will be open during lockdown
Municipal accounts and utility bills can be paid at:
- Pick n Pay
- Electronic transfers
Always use your account number as reference when making payment.
EFT PAYMENTS for municipal accounts:
Nedbank Account Number 1190136899
Branch Code: 198765
- This account is solely for the payment of monthly municipal accounts and the payment must include the 12-numerical digit account number as the reference.
At a meeting of the Overstrand Municipal Council held on 25 March 2020 Council resolved that business who find themselves in financial stress, as a result of the lockdown and cannot pay their accounts due for March 2020 and/or April 2020, may enter into an extended term of payment agreement in order for their payments to be done over a period of 6 months.
Also residential customers who find themselves in financial stress, as a result of the lockdown and cannot pay their accounts due for March 2020 and/or April 2020, may enter into an extended payment agreement in order to pay these accounts, over a twelve month period.
All tenants of the Municipality who cannot make use of the leased premises, for the purpose it is leased for, such as business premises, stalls, etc. will be exempted from the payment of their rental for the months of April 2020 and May 2020.
During the lockdown any Municipal staff that need to call on residents or businesses will carry an official Overstrand identity tag. Please be safe and remain healthy, remember the virus is not under lockdown.