Fernkloof is a delight for avid hikers and nature lovers alike with 60kms of inter-linked trails.
Tourism Safety Monitors are available to accompany hikers in the nature reserve on a complimentary basis during weekdays between 08:00 – 16:00.
Fernkloof gate opening times for summer are from 06:00 to 19:00 and all visitors must please ensure that they keep to these times.
- Program emergency numbers in your cell phone before your hike
- Don’t hike alone
- Allow yourself enough time.
- Inform someone of your route and what time you’re expected back.Wear a hat or cap and sun block in summer.
- Weather changes rapidly and unexpectedly
- Stick to well-used contour paths
- Always take enough water, especially in summer, and food in case of a delay
- Take a fully-charged cellphone
- A walking stick makes for an easier hike. These are available at the visitor centre on loan
Here's a reminder of the contact numbers you might need for the various emergency services:
- 028 312 2400 in case of a fire, flood or medical emergency
- 028 313 8980 for security and safety issues
- 028 313 8000 for general enquiries / accounts
- 028 313 8111 for emergencies relating to basic services / municipal infrastructure
- 028 313 8996 law enforcement day-to-day complaints